Saturday, July 25, 2009

Russell T Davies Talks About Ianto's Death

Russell T Davies, the lead writer of Doctor Who and creator of Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures, was recently interviewed by Entertainment Weekly. In the interview, Russell talked about the death of Ianto Jones in the fourth episode of the recently aired Torchwood: Children of Earth and about the show's future. Two interview extracts can be read below:

“The threat to the world was just so great it simply would have been unlikely if everyone had survived. Torchwood is an adult show. We have killed off leading members of the cast before. Those have always been the stakes. Poor Ianto was defeated by a greater evil, I’m afraid.”

“We don’t yet know about our fourth series, but I’m fairly confident,” he confirmed. ”I will just sit down and invent new stories and characters. That’s what I’ve spent my entire life doing. It’s not difficult at all. I could write the first 10 scenes in an episode right now. Everything’s looking good, but it’s hard to say. We’re in a recession so no one gets easy money to make television. I like continuous story. I like doing new things. In many ways, Torchwood was designed as a digital weapon. It’s a kind of multi-purpose, multi-adaptable, shape-shifting weapon that can become anything. I’m kind of excited what we’ll do next.”

The full interview can be read by clicking here at Entertainment Weekly's official website. Torchwood: Children of Earth is available on DVD and Blu-Ray across the United Kiingdom and Ireland now at the regular retail prices of £24.99 for the dvd and £29.99 for the Blu-Ray. What are your thoughts on this interview?

No comments: